Geekiness

Climbing Hold Coffee Cups

Posted on May 2, 2013 in Climbing, Geekiness, Projects

What are two things cool kids do in Seattle? Drink coffee and rock climb. So, I thought, why not combine the experiences and put climbing holds on your coffee cups?

I have a boyfriend in Seattle who does those both of these things, and he happens to also be the ultimate impossible-to-buy-for guy. He doesn’t want much, but when he does want something he usually just goes out and gets it. So when Valentine’s Day came around, I was determined to come up with something that he really really wanted, but just didn’t know it yet. And he definitely wants to work on his rock climbing skills while drinking his morning coffee.

Climbingmugs reduced

So I ordered some climbing holds from a company called Prinz, bought some generic white mugs, and smashed the handles off with a mallet. There were little nubs left from the ceramic handles and it turns out I don’t own the types of power tools that grind ceramic, so it was easier to take my dremel to the holds themselves and hollow them out to cover the little nubs. I used liquid nails for ceramics to glue them on, then caulked them around the edges with silicone bath tile caulk to make the edges more even with the mug. The bolts are just glued in with liquid nails (because climbing holds don’t look right if they don’t look like they’re bolted in).

It took me forever to send them to him and now even longer to post these, but he seemed to think it was worth the wait :-)

V1mug reducedV6mug reduced

For any of you who aren’t familiar with bouldering route levels, V1s are easier routes, V6 are, like, mega-hard (the V1 cup is for me when I come to visit).

Read More

Tetris Dress!

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 in 52 Weeks of Sewing, Geekiness, Projects, Sewing

Because who doesn’t want a tetris dress in their closet?

Oh man, this dress. I can’t even remember how long it’s been in progress. It’s the kind of project you take on, knowing it will take forever and that it has the potential to be a complete disaster.

It’s actually made of seven T-Shirts (I have so much extra clothing, I’m totally on the refashion bandwagon), cut into little 3×3 inch squares, and basically quilted together. This is where I knew the project was sort of dangerous – that much seaming on that much stretchy fabric = lots of potential for a dress that hangs super funky. And you can see it in the pictures, it does kind of hang funky. I’m still at a loss as to how to fix that. More water and more pressing is the best idea I have so far.

The bodice is loosely based on Simplicity 2176. Except I sewed it in jersey knit, rather than the recommended not-so-stretchy fabrics. And I didn’t line it. And I didn’t put a zipper in. I tried to be smart and cut it to the 6 rather than my usual 10 thinking that would account for the stretch of the fabric – not so! I had to take it in another 2 inches at the end to get it to fit.

I don’t usually show you the insides, but serging makes things look so pretty! And it shows you the amount of seaming involved – quilters, you have so much patience.

 

 

 

 

 

More pictures in the gallery below :-)

 

 

 

 

Read More
%d bloggers like this: